From the airport/bus station:
For the cheapest transport (less than $10BR), take the REAL bus company (blue bus) to Botafogo, Copacabana, or Ipanema. This will take about an hour from the airport. Less time from the bus station. Locals refer to it as “Fresco”. Show the driver your hostel’s address and ask them to drop you off in the neighborhood where you are staying.
You can also take a taxi from outside the airport. This will be much more expensive (about $80BR), but if you can’t wait to get to your Carnival hostel in Rio de Janeiro, then look for ones at the airport. They also take payment in advance with your credit card if that is all you have.
Get Free Access to the Rio Guide
Put your email in the box below and we’ll send you the following:
- 6 Hostels for Less than $20/night (digital book) – If we went to Rio de Janeiro again, these are the 6 places we would stay at for the best bargain and best location.
- 4 Nights, 2 People, 0 Dollars (digital book) – the true story of how we stayed for free at a 4-star hotel in Ipanema, including full details of what we did.
- 6 Ways to Earn $1,000 a Month Online (video) – the first month you earn $1,000 online is such an important milestone. Here are 6 of the best ways to earn money online to get you to $1,000 a month and beyond.
- 3 neighborhoods with the best access to Public Transportation (video) – Make your way around the city using just the Metro and Buses – no expensive Taxis.
- Social and Fun (video) – these three activities are guaranteed fun. If you’ve had trouble finding friendly locals on your holidays, start with these proven spots to hang out in Rio.
- The Essential Rio de Janeiro Dining & Nightlife Guide – if you enjoy the best restaurants, bars, and nightclubs, and aren’t sure if they will fit your budget, start by reading this incredibly useful guide.
- New free subscriber-only resources are added to the guide from time-to-time. Sign up below for free now and get access forever.